« »

The RHF Veterans Forum :: View topic - Little Bg Horn River Battle
The RHF Veterans Forum Forum Index The RHF Veterans Forum
"Nemo Nos Impune Lacesset"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Little Bg Horn River Battle

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The RHF Veterans Forum Forum Index -> HLI
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Little Bg Horn River Battle Reply with quote

There were 10 Scots survived The Big Horn Battle, this man peaked my Interest First Sgt James Hill. This is a brief summery of his service in the U S.
On Oct 1st 1856 thirty year old Hill, While in N Y, he signed on for 5 years in the 4th Artillery D Battery, completed 3 Oct 1861. He saw action in the "Seminole War Florida" and with the UTAH in1857

HE re-enlisted at St Louis in the 1st Missouri Light Artillery, was at the Battle of SHILOH and MISSIONARY RIDGE, then served at, SHREVEPORT, HUNTSVILLE, NASHVILLE, then SCOTTSBORO, where he joined General Sherman,s Campaign in Georgia

Re-enlisted 28th Sept to July1st1868 in the 2nd Cavalry Comp G.

Re-enlisted June 24th 1869 TO June 24th 1874 in the 19th Infantry.

Re-enlisted March 27th 1875 at New Orleans, Capt Frederick Benteen put 42year old Hill in "Coy B" of the famous 7th Cavalry ( he lied about his age said he was 36). Within 22 Months he was Promoted to Ordnance Sgt. Jan 20th1877 Discharged "with good Character" on completion of his service March 30th 1880.

Reenlisted 4 days later April 3rd 1880 Retaining his rank in B Coy. Remained in uniform until April 2nd 1885, and then signed on for another 3 years

Retired with Sgt Pension Nov 12 1888 at Fort Lowell Arizona

He was Superintendent of Little Rock National Cemetery for a year.

Sgt Hill was recommended for the Medal Of Honour by Capt Thomas McDougal of Coy B in a letter dated March 17th 1878 underlining his devotion and heroics at "Little Big Horn River" June 25th ( quote) Sgt Hill had demonstrated extraordinary coolness and bravery during the most extreme action. ECT, ECT end result (never Granted) must find out why.

Why did I write this Story----------

First Sgt JAMES HILL from Edinburgh SERVED 9 YEARS IN THE 71st H L I Before going to America

I would like to see if we have any info on him in our records. [/b][/u]
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The RHF Veterans Forum Forum Index -> HLI All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: